Bones and Joint Infections
Entry of bacteria into the body can lead their way to the musculoskeletal system, which leads to infection. Bone & joint infections also called musculoskeletal infections, which occur most commonly in toddlers as well as young children. They are usually seen in the bones & joints of the arms & legs. An infection of the bone is named as osteomyelitis, whereas septic arthritis refers to joint infection.
Bone and joint infections are caused by bacteria known as Staphylococcus aureus (or “staph”) which needs a treatment with antibiotics. A serious form of staph called as methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) also causes infections that can be more severe & requires special antibiotics for treatment.
Significance of treating Bone and Joint Infections
It is vital to identify & treat bone & joint infections as they can:
- Spread to blood & other organs resulting life-threatening illness
- Cause chronic arthritis & even bone fractures
- Damages growth plates, joints and bones
Bone and Joint Infections
Usually, bone infections in children are seen in the long bones of legs and arms, whereas in adults, they appear in the hips, feet and spine.
Further, bone infections happen unexpectedly or develop over a long period of time. If they are ignored, they may result in permanent bone damage.
How are bone & joint infections treated at Dr. Jalapathi Reddy?
At Ozone Hospital, we diagnosis the patient’s condition thoroughly to analyze whether the infection is present or not, if exists what is its severity. Based on the severity, we decide whether to provide medications or go for any surgical treatment. Our diagnosis process includes X-rays, scans & minor procedures.
Our team includes, many different specialist doctors, therapists and nurses, who provide the best treatment based on the condition and symptoms. We do provide rehabilitation, from the start of our treatment, which is likely to take few days, weeks or months. With our remarkable services, patient’s recovery process is expedited.
What are the symptoms?
The first and foremost symptom to appear is pain at infection site. Other symptoms are:
- Fever & chills
- Irritability or usually feeling unwell
- Redness in infected area
- Drainage from area
- Pain in a limb or joint that rises in severity
- Swelling in affected area
- General malaise
- Stiffness or incapability to use an affected limb
- Bones and Joint Infections and Symptoms
- Diabetes that affect blood flow to the bones
- Intravenous drug use
- Tobacco consumption
- Artificial joints or hardware that got infected
- Hemodialysis, a treatment used for kidney diseases
- Trauma to tissue surrounding the bone
- Sickle cell disease
- Peripheral arterial disease (PAD)